Friday 14 June 2013

DEAR DIARY: THE MET.


Dear Diary,

Today I braved the weather and headed into the city. The weather was a bit gloomy so I decided to check out the Met. I hopped on the subway here in the Bronx, and hopped of on the West side. I walked up the subway steps to the street and I stood there in awe for a minute. I still can't believe that I'm in New York. I walked from 79th street station to the Met, taking the shortcut through Central Park. It was drizzling and there was no-one around - I felt like I had the whole park to myself. I wandered through the park under my umbrella not giving a second thought to the rain, to anything really. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and ended up doing both. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember - and I'm overwhelmed that it's coming true. At the same time I'm not sure I'm feeling this way because I thought this was my dream, and it's not. In the last couple of years I've graduated, I've lived independently, I've learnt that I love running, and that my perfect weekend involves a movie marathon and good coffee, and I've backpacked around India, a place I knew nothing about and never would have imagined travelling to - lots of things have changed, and I think that my dreams did too. I know I'm going to have an amazing summer in NYC, but I know that it's not the place I want to be forever.

The MET was incredible. I wandered around aimlessly - the way I think all museums should be explored - for two hours, snapping pictures and wondering if I really understood modern art. It wasn't raining when I left so I headed for the nearest hotdog cart, grabbed a hotdog with the lot, and plonked myself on the steps of the MET to eat it. Of course, I spilled cheese on myself. I wouldn't have made it as a minion.

I then headed to back to the subway via Park Avenue, admiring the incredible buildings, and doing a oh-my-gosh out loud when I walked past Vera Wang. I like walking around the city, people watching, and I hope I get the chance to walk down every street in the city. I wouldn't even mind being lost, not when there's Starbucks on every corner and a hotdog cart on every street.

Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment left here and will reply to each of them as soon as I can. Please leave a link to your blog as I'd love to check it out. I also love to tweet @rebeccabrittle .