Sunday 14 July 2013

DEAR DIARY: A RAINY DAY IN THE CITY.


Dear Diary,

Yesterday I spent a rainy afternoon wandering around the city. 

Admission to the MoMA is free on Friday afternoons and I thought a rainy afternoon would be the perfect time to check it out. And apparently every tourist in New York City thought so too. The line, when I got there at ten to four was huge - it went along 53rd, 6th, and almost the whole way down 54th. It was chaos, it was raining, and the sidewalks aren't big enough for tourists and their umbrellas. I thought I'd head to The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridian, indulge in an oozy cheeseburger, wander around the city for a little while and head back later in the afternoon. 

I wouldn't have known about The Burger Joint if it hadn't being recommended to me - there isn't a sign on the street, and once you're inside Le Parker Meridian there's only a small neon sign down a corridor. It's the kinda place you have to know about to find. I felt like I belonged to an underground burger club. After a very oozy cheeseburger and a should-or-shouldn't-I write on the walls moment (I didn't, but I think I'll go back and add my name to the scrawl) I left feeling very satisfied and with some stock advice - overheard from the guy sitting at the table next to me.

I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring some of the tourist hot spots - Dylan's Candy Bar, M&M's World, and Hersheys. I don't go as crazy for lollies as some of the kids were going in Dylan's Candy Bar, but it was kinda cool to have a look around. And the smell. The only way I can describe it is that it was like inhaling sugar.

All sugared out - and sick of being pushed by inconsiderate tourists - I headed back to the MoMA. The line was just peeking out of the door and I managed to sneak in before it started raining again. 

It's a quirky gallery and although I'm not always interested in art galleries, I was drawn to this one. I felt like I was a little rushed, and the rain room had closed by the time I got to it, so I'm going to go back again before I leave.

It started to rain - and rain here is different than rain at home - so I quickly scurried home to spend the rest of the night on the couch eating macaroons.

Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment left here and will reply to each of them as soon as I can. Please leave a link to your blog as I'd love to check it out. I also love to tweet @rebeccabrittle .